How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

P90X: "A Body In Motion" Day 4 of 90

I am pleasantly surprised today.  I am not as sore as yesterday.  I am sore, I can feel the result of last night's workout.  I just don't feel it as badly as yesterday.

It could be many things.  I did the 'Arms and Shoulders' and then the 'Ab Ripper X' last night.  When you move around normally, you don't really notice the strain you put on that area as much as you do your legs and butt...which incidentally feel much better than yesterday.  So maybe it's just the simple fact that I worked an area that doesn't have to support such basic movement as, well, walking.

It could also be the Nyquil I took last night and this morning.  I am fighting a nasty head cold and took the medicine so I could sleep better.  "Nyquil.  The night-time sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so-you-can-forget-how-P90X-burnt-your-abs medicine."  I kind of think modern medicine might have taken care of some of the achiness.

That said, I didn't let the cold stop me.  It's a stupid head cold.  To be completely honest, the exercise cleared my sinuses last night for the time I was working out.  It actually felt damn good.  Go ahead, don't believe me.  It's true though.

The Ab-Ripper X last night was really disappointing.  I had been doing so well last year with them.  Then I stopped.  I lost all the progress I had made.  So I just did as much as I could until my muscles wouldn't respond anymore.  I will have to rebuild.  I should have expected that...I just forgot because I refuse to believe I am getting older.  The thing you have to remember, particularly if you are in your late 30's and 40's, is that when you stop using the physical machine, you lose your progress.  It goes away faster than ever at this age.  Our lifestyles have become so sedate that we are either exercising or sitting down.  There is no in between state anymore.  And we have labeled exercise as 'hard'...so the La-Zee-Boy company is having a field day with that.

I remember my great-aunt, who had grown up on a farm in Canada, used to walk every day.  When she was 85, she had to go into the hospital to have an operation.  Her greatest concern was getting out of the hospital to get back on her feet and walk again.  It was her life and her life-style.  There was a time when this country could do physical work and be tired and that felt like you had done a great job that day.  Now it is so foreign to us that we confuse it with, "I'm exhausted."  We need to keep moving.  That is the nature of our bodies.  Anything else is an invitation for sickness, illness, lethargy, and obesity.  Not to mention, it just feels like you have just quit on life because it kicked your butt.

Sir Isaac Newton once said, "A body in motion, stays in motion, until acted on by another force."  Don't let that force be your attitude.  Make it be something real.  Don't just throw in the towel.  I don't believe that we are human beings having a spiritual existence on this planet.  I believe we are spiritual beings having a human existence.  I believe that our bodies are no more than the machines wrapped around our souls, meant for us to use to enjoy this physical plane of existence as much as we can.  It's an exquisite machine when you think about it. No other machine in the world gets stronger and more efficient with use.  Think about that for a minute.  The best things we have ever produced all break down with use.  But when you use your body, it becomes stronger than if it sits idle.  Even if you did compare our bodies to a car...you wouldn't just leave a Porshe in the garage.  Keep it in great shape and take it out and enjoy it.

Stay in motion.  Colds don't count as obstacles to staying in shape.  In fact, you should be able to fight them even better when you are in great shape.  No excuses.

Yoga X tonight.  I used to make fun of Yoga...not anymore.  Tony is going to try to pretzel me.

[later that night]

Yoga X...90 minutes.  Yep 90.  I left 20 minutes at the end on the table.  I had to...it is ab work and I apparently am not fully recovered from last night.  I couldn't do even 2 reps...I was toast.  No form.  I did speed walk 3.5 miles this AM at 4.2mph...so I don't feel too bad.  I gave it my all today.  That's all you can do.  And then come back for more.  Always come back.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment