How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

P90X: "Efficient Calories" Day 44 of 90

How efficient is your calorie intake?  I need to have a talk with my nutrition coach Melissa...but the preliminary call on my diet is that it could be more nutrient dense.  I am managing my calories well, but my food should be better quality.  I am eating clean, that much I know, but I think I can make better choices.

When I heard nutrient light...I looked it up.  So there are food choices that, given equal calories, are better for you in terms of overall nutrition value.  You can have a donut at 200 calories, or a 200 calorie bowl of spinach.  Which is better for you?  That's right, the donut.  Otherwise Dunkin' Donuts would be out of business right?  Wrong.  It's spinach.

My challenge is that I don't eat junk food, so I just need to make even MORE healthy choices if I am going to try to build muscle and get lean.  So here is a list of the foods I have exposure to every day and their Nutrient Density index.

Spinach 739
Brussel Sprouts 672
Broccoli 376
Green Pepper 258
Artichoke 244
Carrots 240
Strawberry 212
Tomato 164
Iceberg lettuce 110
Orange 109
Sweet Potoato 83
Apple 76
Oatmeal 53
Cucumber 50
Corn 44
Salmon 39
Almonds 38
Skim Milk 36
Walnuts 34
Banana 30
Chicken Breast 27
Eggs 27
Whole Wheat Bread 25
Ground Beef 20

The easiest substitution that I can make is at Lunch by adding Spinach in my salad at 739 vs. Iceberg Lettuce at 110. I already go heavy on Green Pepper and Jalapeno Pepper.  The Chicken Breast is only 27, which is shocking.  I could actually go heavier on the whole tomatoes in the salad.

Breakfast is already as good as it gets with Oatmeal and Applesauce.

Dinner is Shakeology and a Protein Bar.  I am interested in knowing the suggestions there.  I eat a lot of apple and banana...and nuts.

Okay, so I need to talk to Melissa, the fitnesschic (as she calls herself), and get myself tuned up.  It's been a great weekend of working out and outdoor weather.

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment