How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Insanity: Preparation for the Next Level


I finally received the Insanity DVD’s this past weekend.  It was all I could do to NOT open them and just “Push Play,” as we say in the Beachbody world.  I will be starting on Saturday.  I have a Fitness Challenge group starting on or about June 1st.  At least one member of the group will be doing Insanity with me.  I am going to start two weeks ahead and blog the experience.  I am leading the group so I will be kind of like a “scout’ on this one.

As many of you know, my success formula is built around four factors.  Knowledge, Skill, Confidence, and Motivation.  Right now, I am highly motivated and my confidence that I can do this, given my success with P90X is very high.  I need to work on my program knowledge to prepare myself and then prepare for the skills part as I review the DVD’s to make sure I have all the materials to execute the routines.

First, the knowledge.  I am reading the materials.  There isn’t much.  This routine does not come with the big instruction book that P90X did.  It is a pamphlet.  Basically, there are three things you have to know.

(1) Make sure your doctor says you can do this, particularly if you have neck issues, back issues, or are extremely overweight.  The program is an advanced workout routine, so you want to be careful.

(2) Do what they do on the DVD and try to keep up.

(3) Eat right.  They DO have a book for this and I am reading through it..

As far as I can see, I am pretty much set to start.  The program is advanced, but I just finished P90X, another advanced program.  I think I am ready for the work.  I love the Plyometrics and Core Synergistics of P90X and Insanity appears to be an extreme level of that kind of routines.

I think I can keep up with the DVD.  Ha-Ha.  Do you have any idea how many times I thought I could just 'do this?'  That is the watchword of the day...no matter how hard something is when you start, don't get discouraged.  It always gets a little easier.  If you don't believe me, read my P90X blog.  Can I just start this with no issues?  That one we will find out together through my next blog!

I eat very clean so I tend to look at the diet portions of these programs and actually criticize them for being too lenient.  My breakfast, lunch and dinner are about as clean as anyone you will meet.  I have one cheat meal per week and that is on Friday night…Pizza night.  If I have one concern, it’s making sure that I have the right level of nutrients to ensure that my body is performing optimally.  That was a challenge during P90X, but a Nutrition coach gave me some very helpful hints on it.

So as far as building my knowledge around the program, I think I am all set.

The skills portion of my preparation will entail simply scanning through the DVD’s visually.  I like to know that I have the right things to start.  Insanity requires, to the best of my knowledge, very few pieces of equipment.  I want to check out how much jumping there is and how high…because I typically do my routines in my basement.  If a lot of jumping is required, I usually remove a few ceiling tiles for extra height and try not to hit my head on a plank.  Nothing ends a workout faster than that!  Also, do I have the right type of mat for this?  All things I need to consider. 

I made the mistake a few times in P90X of thinking I had done enough DVD review only to find out that I needed a few dumbbells or stronger bands for the pulliups.  It also helps mentally to not be surprised by what’s coming.  Mental preparation is almost half the challenge of the workout.

I will let everyone know tomorrow how the review went!

Have a great night!  I am off to do P90X Plyometrics!  My favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment