How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Insanity: "Sense of Humor" Day 3 of 60


When I commit to doing something, for me, it’s serious business.  My wife even looks at me at times like I am a little nuts.  The word “obsessive” comes out and sometimes even, “addicted.”  That said, I do think it’s important to keep your sense of humor in check.  I certainly needed it yesterday when I was on my knees huffing and puffing trying to get through Day Two.  Along those lines, I have to come clean on a funny story for a friend who has heard me mention it in passing but never heard the details.  It goes back to my obese days…

We were on a family vacation.  I was at my max weight, about 285lbs, and very big around the middle.  We went to an amusement park.  Let me say, right at the top of this, that obese people have a difficult time gauging exactly how big they are.  I know I did.  There was a time when I bumped into a lot of stuff because I was certain, looking at a doorway or some other restricted passage, that there was room for both me and everyone else.  Obese people actually look at things and think they can fit like a normal person.  That’s why you get jammed in when they come sit next to you on a bus or a train…they truly think they can fit.  Absent a measuring tape or a camera, you can’t prove it to them…but it’s true.

So there I was in the amusement park looking at a ride called ‘Nightwing.’  I have loved rollercoaster and spinning rides since I was a kid.  This one was unique.  It’s based on the Batman movie and is meant to simulate flying…flying horizontally like Superman.  Every passenger lays on it on their stomach and gets pancaked into the thing.  If you need a mental image, visualize a huge waffle iron and you being a waffle.  There’s a top section that has to snap into place, squeezing down on you and holding you horizontally, and safely, in place.

So me, the obese person that I was, decided to try it.  This was summer.  In an amusement park.  In a tourist mecca.  The line was very long.  Let’s just say that the heat must have made me delusional because I clearly had enough time in line for reality and physics to creep in somewhere.  But it didn’t.  I stood in that line and waited and waited, until it was my turn.  Finally, I was next.

You know how parks hire college kids in the off-season?  This one was no different.  Two enterprising and athletic looking youths were running the ride.  “Come right this way, sir!”  Who the hell was ‘sir?’  I’m not that old.  That’s what I was thinking as I stepped up and laid myself into the bottom of the black wing shaped waffle iron.

Now, I was one of the last people to get on the ride.  The wings are in pairs, side by side and they like family members and friends to ride together.  I noticed that the one to my left was empty.  Now, if you have ever waited in the heat of summer to get on an amusement park ride, you know that by the time you get on the damn thing, your patience is fried.  Also, this particular ride was black.  It had been sitting in the sun all day.  So everyone was laying on the temperature equivalent of black asphault in the form of this winged ride.  With everyone looking on in anticipation, the two kids finally got to me and started to push down the top and snap it into place.

As the top comes down and squishes me, I am laying there listening for the familiar snap of the safety harness.  The one I heard from every other rider as I was laying there.  Nothing.  I kind of want to hear the snap because I know that it is the only thing stopping me from becoming the unwilling participant in a Road Runner cartoon as I fly across the park through the sky.  These kids push down harder…NO snap.  Not to look away from a challenge, and notwithstanding that there is an actual human being under him, one of the kids climbs on top.  He is now using his body weight to push down the top onto me.

Through compressed lungs I squeal, “That’s okay, I can get off!”

The other kid, the one NOT on top, looks at me assuredly and says, “Don’t worry man, we have gotten fatter people than you to fit.”

Now I am looking around at the faces of the other people, now clearly melting in their 120 degree waffle irons.  They are wishing I would die.  Based on how much lung capacity I have left as the kid hops up and down on my back, I just might.  Everyone on the ride and in line is looking at this spectacle.  My wife and kids are outside the fenceline watching me and they are in hysterics.  Some are clearly very mad that I am holding this whole thing up.  I’m not easily embarrassed, but this is pretty close to the highlight of my life.

Finally, the kid on top looks at the other one and says, “I don’t think this is gonna work.”  I breathe a sigh of relief.  I can get off this damn thing and stop being the elephant in the circus.  Then he says, “I think this car is broken.”  Oh, crap.  Really?!  Come on kid…I’m TOO BIG FOR THE RIDE!!  “Come on sir, hop in this one right here.”  I look at him, “Really, it’s okay, I can leave.”  “No, no, one of the cars was busted, I think this is the one.  Get in this one.”  Now the people on the ride are really mad and the people waiting are laughing harder.

The same process happens again.  No snap.  More time passes.  The other kid, slightly bigger, hops on top this time.  SNAP!!  Really?  Did I hear right?  God, I hope I did.  This thing better be fastened.  They both smile.  Conquering heroes.  One looks at the other, “I knew I could do it, man.”

It’s one thing to make yourself an obstacle to your own health, it’s another to put out others in the process, but it takes the cake when you become an athletic event and you are the goal.

The ride was really very cool but I will say that I began to look at my relative size a bit differently that day.  It was funny.  My condition wasn’t, but what happened that day was.

You have to keep your sense of humor.  Life is too short.  But if you don’t take your physical condition seriously, it may be shorter than you think.

Tonight….Insanity workout number three!!

THE WORKOUT

Cardio Recovery.  Thirty three minutes??  Oh, cmon!! I was ready tonight.  Really, really, ready.  Tonight was a ‘recovery’ night.  The workout was not very intense at all.  It was a smattering of last night.  I have to say, my calves did hurt from the past two nights.  So, I probably got some benefit out of not hopping, jumping and leaping around.  However, I LIKE working out and when I put in the time, I want it to count.

The Cardio Recovery is only 33 minutes long.  So, I threw in P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps (the first half).  I have decided that I enjoyed P90X and the muscle workouts so much that, in addition to doing AbRipperX three mornings a week, on two mornings I will do half of P90X Chest, Shoulders one day and Tri’s and then do half of Back and Biceps the other day.  On week two, I will do the second half.  So, tonight I threw in P90X CST part one.  Then I did the treadmill for 25 minutes.  I have to feel like I really worked out.  The last two nights have been intense.  I wasn’t looking forward to another intense night and then really put myself in a state of mind for it.  Then it didn’t happen.  So I compensated.  Okay, AbRipperX in the AM and back to the Insanity grind tomorrow night.

As for tonight, the exercises were not Cardio intense.  They were, however, real muscle burners.  A lot of the leg dips burned pretty good toward the end of the exercise.  The one thing I am having issue with on these DVD’s is being able to see the exercise and doing it with good form while also rushing to do it.  Some of the stretching is rushed and I need to make sure I am using good form.  My advice would be to watch these things ahead of time before you do them.

One more piece of valuable advice.  Your calves.  Mine have been hurting at the top of my calf, behind my knee.  I left some messages on the Beachbody message board and apparently this is very common and well known.  If you think you might have calf weakness, you might want to do some calf stretches prior to the workout.  Okay, time to turn in. 

See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment