How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Monday, June 25, 2012

"What the hell am I doing? Seriously." Insanity: Day 35/36 of 60

This past Saturday, about 1PM, for the first time since I started Beachbody programs, I was asking myself that question.  I did P90X for 104 days and then got right into Insanity.  The last five weeks of Insanity have been hard but they are what I’ve come to expect from the products.  I started Week 6 (or day one of Phase II) of Insanity on Saturday.  Let me tell you something, that’s what had me asking myself the serious question.

I started the workout knowing it was going to be harder.  I’ve learned my lessons about starting new programs and went to Team Beachbody to look at some message boards.  I knew the routines were longer.  The DVD said, “Fit Test and Max Interval Circuit.”  The time on it was something like 63 minutes on the schedule, so I thought that was for both.  It was a stretch but I figured that I could handle it fine.  I also thought, since the Max Recovery was reviewed by so many as being very light, I would do the Fit Test then.  So, since I was doing no Fit Test on Saturday…I’m thinking, “That time for the whole routine should be considerably shorter.”  So, like I had been doing the last 5 weeks, I did my Ab Ripper X routine first.

ARX took about fifteen minutes.  I have actually been able to do it so well that I don’t even pause between sets.  I put the DVD in and start into the routine…by the time the DVD gets set and goes through the normal pre-workout junk, I am already on the Cross-legged Situps.  So the whole thing takes me about 15 minutes.

That done, I popped in the Insanity DVD for Max Interval Circuit.  Two routines on the disc as I expected.  I wasn’t doing the Fit Test, so I hit the hit the regular program.  Oh God.  I think it says 58 minutes.  What the hell.  Okay, no sweat.  I have been working out for 15 minutes already…I can do this.

Mathematically I was about to exercise for an hour and 15 minutes.  Insanity is about 40 minutes in Phase I.  Today was going to add 35 minutes to that pace.

My breakfast had been my usual Oatmeal mix and I had drunk about three cups of coffee…which was more than usual.  The heat has been brutal, so my hydration felt low and the temp in my family room basement was unusually high at about 74 degrees.  The dehumidifier was going non-stop and was adding to the heat.

So, given all the elements, I dove right in.

The workout started fine.  I kept up with all of the routines.  I will say, from a muscular perspective, this routine was a lot more physical than the cardio intense stuff we had been doing.  I enjoyed that part, but I hadn’t been expecting it.

I was sweating like crazy.  More than usual in Insanity, and that was saying something.  I went through a 24 ounce container of water in the first 30 minutes.  I had to push pause just to run back upstairs to get more water.  That’s when it hit me.  As I went through the door to the kitchen upstairs, it was actually cooler than the basement.  That NEVER happens.  The basement has always been the coolest room in the house.  I grabbed the water and quickly hopped down the stairs.  Oh my God.  The thermostat said “78.”  The temp in the room had gone up 4 degrees in thirty minutes.  My body temp and the intensity of the workout actually was raising the room temp!

I pushed play and just kept rocking.

Another 15 minutes went by and I started to notice something.  Even though I had taken in another 24 ounces of water (total of 48 now), I had stopped sweating.  I was in the middle of an exercise and I could feel the heat coming off of my face.  I looked at the room thermostat.  81 degrees.  My body was tingling from my head to my waist…a very weird sensation if you have never experienced it.  I was more burnt out at that point than I had ever been in 139 days.  I recognized the physical signs though…I was experiencing heat exhaustion.  The tingling was because my electrolytes were gone.

If you ever get to this point, you need to be concerned.  This is the point  at which your system begins to shut down.  It can actually cause your heart to palpitate oddly and can be very serious.

Okay.  Enough.  Time to stop.  I left about three minutes of the routine out.  I dropped the last set of the last circuit.  I went straight to the stretch and cool down and finished. 

I had to take some drastic steps to rehydrate.  I immediately sat down and slowly got about 12 ounces of Gatorade in me.  I ate half a banana and a kosher pickle with it.  I needed to get the sodium and potassium levels up.  I then made up my usually recovery drink of Creatine/Protein and had that too.  All of this over an hour’s time…you can’t just pour this stuff into your body.  I sat in front of a fan and waited for everything to absorb and my body’s heat to go down.  It did…but it took time.  When I walked around, I was a little light headed and seriously out of steam.  I headed up to take a cold shower.

I stripped off my sweat soaked clothes and turned to look in the mirror.  I could see my cheek bones and my face was drawn tight.  My skin was white…drained of blood.  My body was still sweating.  It hurt me just to stand up.  That’s when it hit me.

I looked at the fifty year old man staring back at me and said to him, “What the hell are you doing?”
(to be continued tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment