How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Insanity: "Clean Eating" Day 4 of 60


First, a quick fitness update.  I did AbRipperX from the P90X program this AM.  I got up, had breakfast and then did, as I recall Tony Horton saying, “Three hundred and fifty ab crunching exercises.”  I love AbRipper.  It takes 17 minutes.  Up at 6AM, make breakfast, post my blog, do the 17 minutes, hit the shower, and then out the door by 7:15AM for the 7:30AM train.  17 minutes.  We all have 17 minutes.  Right? (I am smiling right about now)

Okay!  Clean Eating.  What the heck is THAT?  That’s the thought that went through MY mind when I first heard it.  All lifestyle changes for health involve eating right and exercise.  In fact, when people say it, “Eat right” always comes first!  It is also the first thing we toss aside as we do the exercise.  I did it too.

When I got P90X, it came with an exercise guide and a nutrition guide.  There is nothing I hate more than the “Nutrition Guide.”  Generally, they are recipe books.  So I toss them.  The Beachbody book, I will fess up, is also very much a meal planner and recipe book of healthy alternatives.  I hate to cook.  I eat in ten minutes.  I don’t know how anyone can enjoy it.  So I tossed the book to the side and opened the DVD’s.

When I got Insanity…first thing I saw was a nutrition guide.  What? No exercise guide?  I think I got gypped!  Nope, insanity only has a flyer.  But, it does have a nutrition guide too.

When I eat, I want simplicity.  I do not want to think about it.  I eat almost the same thing every day.  But, again, I don’t think about it.

As I was doing my Challenge Group in P90X, I was having some energy issues.  My diet was not giving me the energy and recuperative fuel that my body needed.  I sent my diet to my two Coaches, who came to the conclusion that it had enough calories but I wasn’t getting enough nutrients.  In the course of our conversations, Lisa Barker, my primary Beachbody Coach and sponsor, said, “Wow, Dick, you eat really clean.”  I did not know what that meant.  Embarrassingly enough, I knew a lot about fitness but not a lot about nutrition.  As people say, “I knew just enough about nutrition to be dangerous.”

From the time I lost all my weight on my liquid diet, I had a new meal plan for my life.  I have been modifying it over time.  Apparently, I created a meal plan for myself that typified something called “Clean Eating.” 

I have Oatmeal in the morning (not processed, the real oats that take five minutes to cook) with all natural Applesauce (not the stuff with high fructose corn syrup, the ingredients say ‘Apples, water’), a palmfull of raisins and natural ground cinnamon.  That’s my breakfast every morning for the last four years.  There isn’t one processed food in that breakfast.  No chemicals, no additives.  All of it is the way it arrived on this earth.

My lunch is a salad with about 3-4 ounces of grilled chicken or fish.  The salad is iceberg lettuce and spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, green peppers, olives, jalapeno’s and the meat.  The dressing is balsamic vinaigrette and is pretty much the only processed thing in the meal.

My dinner is Shakeology with fruit blended in.  I will grab some real meat protein if it was part of dinner that night but otherwise, a handful of nuts and raisins with maybe an apple round out dinner.

After exercise, I eat more trailmix and fruit.

All of my snacks during the day are natural foods except the Protein bar I have mid-afternoon.

My diet is pretty clean.  What is “Clean Eating?”  It is basically eliminating processed foods.  Foods with chemical additives.  Foods that have been manufactured (like Twinkees).  Foods that have been drastically altered with transfats and refined sugars and chemical sweeteners.  It’s actually the simplest thing in the world…if your food doesn’t come with a label (like chicken, fish, fruit and salad), it’s a pretty good rule that you can eat it in modest quantities.

If your food HAS a label…and reading that label brings back nightmares of High School Chemistry…don’t eat it.  You know what real food is.  There is stuff on a label that is NOT on the food pyramid…anywhere.  High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Hydrogenated anthing.  Aspartame?  Olestra?  All of these things are toxic to your body.  Not necessarily poisonous (although some actually are), toxic.  Toxic means that they do not belong in your body and your body naturally wants to eliminate them.  Toxic also means that prolonged ingestion of these things will imbalance your metabolism, weaken your immune system and leave you exposed to health issues.  While your body (and primarily your liver) is processing all the toxic junk from your food that you have eaten, it cannot do what comes naturally, which is turn the real fuel into energy and burn your fat.  So you are tired and you gain weight.

While the body chemistry is somewhat complicated, eating clean is not.  The only reason to get recipe books on Clean Eating is if you really love food.  If eating to you is some kind of passion (and it is NOT to me…not judging, that’s just me) maybe these books will help you create beautiful clean meals.

Bottom line here is, while exercise has changed my life, the change in my everyday diet to cleaner eating habits has probably influenced it even more.  My cholesterol of 163 (down from almost 270 in my really big days) is just one body marker that tells me the diet has been beneficial.  I will include more about Clean Eating as I educate myself further but for now, just read the labels.  Only eat foods that are delivered to you the way they were delivered to this earth!

Exercise later today!!

THE WORKOUT

Pure Cardio tonight!  It went really great.  The first two nights were hard (and I don’t count the Recovery Night).  I went into tonight really hydrated because I know how much the twitch muscles are going to be used.  They have to be hydrated or you will pay.  I also stretched before and after on the advice of a coach who answered something I put up on the Team Beachbody bulletin board.  I went into the exercise ready to kill it…and I did.

I felt so good afterwards that I went on my treadmill for about 25 minutes to burn another 200 calories and stretch out those calf muscles!

I was ready for the pace and rhythm of the routine tonight, and that helped a lot too.  Oh yeah, knowing how to DO the routines…that was valuable.  The first two nights, I had to look up and check and recheck my form.  I only screwed up one time tonight, the drop into push up position and then hop back up and jump.  Can’t remember the name, a true indication of ‘week one-itis’.  I was not just going to plank and hopping back up, I was doing Tony Horton prison pushups.  I burned out around 45 seconds.

So, all in all, a real great night.  Tomorrow we do the first repeat.  I love the first repeat night because there is ALWAYS improvement.

Okay, see you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment