How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Insanity: "Control" Day 6 of 60


My energy this week has been at an all-time high.  It might be the Insanity…it might be the addition of AbRipper and two Muscle Routines from P90X in the AM…it might be the treadmill.  All I know is, I am bouncing off the walls.  My day job, and yes, I actually have a day job (many think with the amount of exercise and blogging that this is ALL I do!), is spent with a colleague that I have gotten close to over the past year.  I don’t think he reads my blog, and I don’t think my work colleagues read it, so I don’t think I am blowing any secrets.

Without going into too much detail, at my high energy frequency this week, he has been laughing at me when I come into the office.  He says I am nuts.  We were talking about exercise and eating right.  Like 65% of all Americans, he has his challenges with his weight.  He is far from alone, in fact, he is one of the vast majority.  In a nutshell, he said, “I know I have to do something, but I’m depressed.”

“I never had a weight problem my entire life.  I was always the one all my friends envied.  I actually modeled when I was thirty-five.  Then, I stopped smoking.  I started taking more vacations.  And here I am.  Now, every morning when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror, it depresses me.  When the job is stressful, I get more depressed.  Everything bothers me.  I’ve never been this big.  I actually have a gut.  A gut.”

This was not someone just making excuses.  This was from the heart.  I really connected and felt his pain.  I will be honest, I know I can help him.  I know what it feels like.  I could have just shook my head and walked away.  We are all very comfortable when people pretend to give you emotion and fake an honest response.  It’s like playacting a dialog.  But when someone is truly letting you inside their emotional wall, for many, the first response is to just shake your head and silently leave them to their pain.  That, however, is not ‘how I roll.’  So I spoke up.

“Listen, it’s all about control.  And you can do this.  Four years ago I was in that same place.  Not only did I see it in my mirror, I saw it in my clothes, in my medical statistics, and in people’s eyes.  It wasn’t just my weight either.  My whole life felt out of control.  My work.  My relationships.  My future.  It all seemed like I was on some rollercoaster going wherever I was taken.”

“Four years ago, when I decided not only to lose the weight but to change my life and keep it off, something else happened.  I took control.  I decided to drive.  It changed me.  But it started with controlling my own health.  So many of us feel out of control because the things we do every day are affected by other people.  Your fitness and health is your first step.  I knew when I was doing it that it was all me.  No one affected it.  It wasn’t like work, where organizational dynamics and professional relationships can keep your projects from succeeding.  I just had to eat right and exercise.  It was MY thing.  I didn’t need anyone to bless or approve this.  I also didn’t need anyone to help me succeed.  I was dependent on just me and me alone.  When I finally looked in the mirror one day and saw what I had done, I knew I could control many other things in my life that I had mistakenly thought controlled me.”

“When I looked in the mirror one year later, it reinforced my belief that my life was driven by me.  I chose the right food.  I chose the right exercise.  The weight remained off and I felt great.  Then I decided to make changes in the way I approached my day job.  I modified my point of view and improved some personal relationships.  I then decided to write a book, and did.  I then decided that my job had become toxic to me (and I was now in a state where I could recognize the symptoms) and I found a new job…in fact, a better job!”

Taking control, I explained to him, gave me the courage and, more importantly, the confidence to change many other aspects of my life.  When you’re depressed and your life seems out of control, the first and best place to regain it is by cleaning your personal house.  There is nothing more rewarding to all other facets of your life than changing your health and fitness.  It starts out physical but evolves to something deeper than that.  Once you conquer that, you feel like you can beat anything.

He truly seemed to embrace what I was saying.  I will continue to be the one pushing the message.  It helped me in so many ways that it is often difficult to list.

Control.  It starts with you as the hub and, when you begin to experience those small successes, it extends to all other aspects of your life.  Very soon, it becomes BIG successes.

The answer to a depressed state is knowing that you can do something to change your situation.  Doing it once and repeating it gives you the confidence.

As we go into the Memorial Day weekend, I need to say two things.  Happy Birthday to my son Nick, who turns 15 on Memorial Day and thanks to all the veterans out there, in particular the ones still serving, who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and safety.

Maybe one last thing, lots of salad and fresh fruit and vegetables…with the barbequed meat cut up into bites and sprinkled on the salad.  Chew it a lot before you swallow and savor it.  Watch the nutrient shallow carbs like white bread and pasta.  And not too much booze!  Ha-ha.  It weakens the resolve and makes you crave more carbs…like dessert. 

All the best and Happy Memorial Day!

THE WORKOUT

Friday is my ‘break day!’  I love making the break day Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment