How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Friday, June 15, 2012

“Can Positive Action Infect Other Parts of Your Life?” Insanity: Day 27 of 60

My wife said something to me this morning that has prompted this question.  It’s a good one.  Can positive things from one aspect of your life bring about positives in other areas?

What prompted it?  She came down the stairs and I was in front of the TV watching the morning news.  I was doing my “Ab Ripper X” routine on the carpet.  It was odd for her to see me there because I usually work out in my “man cave” in the basement.  Today, however, is the first day of summer for my kids and my son had some friends sleep over to participate in a Lord of the Rings movie marathon, otherwise known as the “Nerd Hobbit Convention” (that’s MY term…not theirs). 

So there I was, in a strange place, plugging away at the 350 exercise, 17 minute routine.  My wife said, that she had been talking to a good friend of ours, Maureen Kayata , who is a spiritual therapist specializing in hypnotic regression and therapy as well as being a psychic medium.  The conversation between them had been focused on people making highly concentrated efforts for the better in their lives and how that results in the person manifesting positive things in the other parts of their life.  The basis of this is that you can create your own successes but it starts from an energy you kick off from inside you.

My wife said, “I think that’s what you are doing.”

I was a little struck by the thought because, honestly, I have been working so hard to make the best health, fitness, relationship, and work choices that I haven’t even given it much thought.  Apparently, that is part of the process.  When you stop to think about what you are doing, you kind of blow the karmic effect.  But, if you focus on the journey, and the right decisions, and leave the baggage behind, you can harness the positive energy and, like a magnet, more positive is drawn to you.

Conversely, of course, if you focus on the negatives the inverse happens.  Negative is drawn to you.  It could be from many different areas of your life.

If you live your life in swirling patterns of drama from bad relationships…

If your work environment is toxic but you refuse to leave it…

If you have family members that are toxic influences but you refuse to just separate from…

If you have addictions that are swallowing you…

If your health and fitness are so poor that it’s affecting the rest of your life…

All of these things have the capability to bring out the worst in you and manifest negative energy and bad results in your life.  If you find ways to eliminate the bad and live your life with the most positive decisions and actions, you will get to a point where everything starts to flow in the right direction.  At least, that’s the theory.

Does the theory hold any water?  I don’t really know except to say that my wife’s observations are grounded in some very real things that I have done in my life over the past four to six years.

Some of it actually started many years ago.  There were family relationships that have rollercoasted up and down for various reasons.  When they got toxic to me…I just let them go.  It wasn’t easy because along with the pain, there was also some very happy times.  But I had to weigh the good versus the bad and then make a very hard decision.  It didn’t come without loss and regret, but, overall, I think it ended up being a positive thing for me as a person.

Then about six years ago, my work life became stressful in a way that was dangerous.  Coupled with my failing physical health, my work stress had me take a couple of ambulance rides from my office to the hospital.

The first decision was to change the things I could change the easiest.  Believe it or not, the easiest thing was my weight, health, and fitness.   Why was it the easiest?  Because it was the one thing that I could control and change that no one else, so long as I didn’t let them, could affect.  It was the one thing that was totally up to me.  I went out and found a liquid diet to get the weight off and then found the right fitness routine and eating style to keep the weight off right up to today.

Once I was physically set, I made a decision to stop the partying I was doing.  Before the weight loss, my life had been full of family and work parties that had me indulging far too much in alcohol.  When I lost the weight, I had to stop.  The negatives from the alcohol went far beyond the physical effects…I found there were effects on my personal relationships as well.  I decided to make the party lifestyle a thing of the past.  To be realistic, you don’t have to cut it out completely, you just need (I think) to have a line.  What you do is up to you anyway…this is my story.

Last, I decided that the job I had done for years needed to change.  I loved the job when things were going right.  The job was absolutely the most stressful thing I had ever done when it was bad…and it was bad a lot.  The successes did not outweigh the misery.  In other words, “The juice was no longer worth the squeeze.”

The net result of all of this is a new job where I am happier working than I have ever been.  I have a fit and healthy body that, honestly, is kind of very cool to me because I have never been this fit.  My life has relationships that I treasure and memories I can comfortably recall with the happiness that they merit.  I wrote my first novel, a Christmas book of almost 450 pages.  Last…and I think this is what my wife was seeing…when I want to do something positive at this point, I seem to almost be able to make it happen.  Good things seem to be following me and finding me.  It’s kind of cool.

I have a piece of advice I give to my friends looking to do the positive but are unwilling to release the negatives in their lives, “You can’t drive to the destination of your life’s journey while you are staring in the rear-view mirror.  You will either go too slow, or drive right into a ditch.  Either way, you won't get there.  If you really want to get there, you need to lighten the luggage, keep your eyes on the road, and put your foot to the floor.”

More simply said, from my brother John, “Let go or be dragged.”

Do you think there is anything to this?  Maybe, just maybe, you should give it a shot and see what happens?   
What do you have to lose?

THE WORKOUT:
Ab Ripper X this AM but it is also my Insanity off-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment