How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

P90X: "Fit to Clean the Yard" Day 43 of 90

Okay I know, it's not fall.  I know that because I have no football game to focus on and I am in the middle of sports hell, also known as March Madness.  Basketball is the sport I like least.  Including some of those weird Olympic sports like Curling.  I spent the better part of the fall writing and producing my book, A Faithful Elf.  I then came out of Christmas into the 'weekend burning' NFL Playoffs, because it also goes on Saturdays.  By the time February came, I had stated P90X.  So, you can imagine what my yard looks like.

Actually, using the word "yard" for that agricultural mess behind my house is an insult to people who actually make a half-hearted attempt to make theirs look nice.

So this morning, after a really restful nights sleep, I was, unusually, the first one up.  I made my breakfast and got into my workout.  I did Ab Ripper X, then the Chest, Shoulders and Triceps and then I did 45 minutes of speed walking on my treadmill.  Then I had my Shakeology lunch and spent the next three hours raking leaves and doing yardwork.  It was a day of real work.

The amazing thing was, unlike other years when I pick up a rake for the first time in a while, it was much easier on me physically.  I have to say 'physically' because I hate yardwork so it is always a challenge mentally.  Just ask anyone who knows me.  I don't try to hide these kinds of things...if I don't like something, I let you know.  If I could afford artificial turf, I would have it put down in a heartbeat.  The only issue would be that it gets about 20 degrees hotter than the temp, so in August my puppy would charbroil her little tootsies off.  So for now, I am stuck with grass.

I sometimes get lucky, pick up a rhythm, and then lose myself to my thoughts.  But the other half of the time is pretty miserable.  I have to say, I actually feel pretty damned good right now.  I also sit here kind of wondering how the plyometrics may have improved my skiing.

Today's blog is short.  I am kind of cruising with this P90X thing.  Every learning process has four phases, Adaptation, Execution (Once), Repetition, and Mastery.  Repetition is the part that sets you up for mastery, but it requires patience, diligence and determination.  To fend off the boredom, sometimes you just have to take your new learnings out for a spin.  That was today.

Happy St. Patricks Day...Plyometrics tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment