How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

P90X: "Overweight? What Did You Eat as a Child?" Day 46 of 90


Rocking and rolling along on this fitness plan.  As I have said, I am seeing changes every single day.  I don’t think it is the P90X program per se.  Often, people think that weight loss has some kind of magic bullet.  In my mind, the exercise portion of weight loss can be any exercise program so long as it exercises all body parts, is rigorous, and is both frequent and consistent.  It could be P90X, Insanity, Tony Horton’s Power Half-Hour, it really doesn’t matter.  What matters is that the three factors I mentioned are present and that you DO THE WORK.  It helps a lot if you enjoy the workout too!  (but it’s not really necessary)

The diet is the other side of the weight control coin.  I am re-reading a favorite book of mine called Ultrametabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman.  I am going to blog a little on that tomorrow, but I highly recommend this book, in particular if you have worked at losing weight by both diet and exercise and are seeing little results.  This book could give you keen insight as to why.

I have been working with a Nutritionist on evaluating my diet.  I eat pretty clean and eat foods that one would consider to be very good for you.  With a rigorous exercise program, making sure your diet is giving you proper nutrients is essential, so I have sought professional advice.  She sent me a Health History Questionnaire to fill out.

As we cover these things, I will share (no, really!?) my progress.

Today though, I am reflecting on a question I had to answer because it was a real eye opener.  There were two sections, one asked, “What were your meals like as a child?” and the other was, “What are your meals like now?”

I have fought weight issues my entire life.  As I thought this through, I also considered how long I had followed this pattern.  The answer was not good.

Here is my response:

Breakfast: Sugar based cereals…Quisp/Quake (some of you may know what this is, and your age is now showing), Captain Crunch, PopTarts (a favorite), Trix, Lucky Charms.  Hmmm.  Great beginning of the day for a fat kid.

Lunch: Ham or Turkey sandwich on white bread, usually the Wonder bread.  Cookies.  Chips.  Lots of Hostess treats from Twinkies to the Cupcakes.  Lots of processed wheat, flour and starch.

Dinner: Pretty much what was cooked, in quantities large enough to fill me.  Given what I know today, and given the breakfast and lunch I just listed, my insulin spikes must have really set me up for this meal.  There was always a dessert, and it was always calorie rich.  Dessert was never missed.

Snacks:  Sweets…cookies, candy, etc.

Beverages:  Milk and Kool-Aid.  I wasn’t a big soda drinker, thank god.

Holy crap.  That’s all I kept saying as I listed these things.  Do you have any idea how dramatically different this is from how I eat today?  If you read this blog regularly you do!  If you don’t, it’s radically different.  Who the heck set up THAT diet?  The witch from Hansel and Gretel who wanted to put fat on the kids' bones?  Thank God that in the late sixties and seventies High Fructose Corn Syrup was not vogue yet as a replacement sweetener like it is today.  I would have been in critical care.

It made me think about what kids eat today.  My kids as well as other kids.  It made me think about the childhood obesity epidemic we face currently.  It made me realize the eating patterns that set up my weight issues as huge obstacles I would face for years to come.

The only way that the diet I had as a child would NOT result in a plump kid is if I had the exercise regimen of a world class athlete…and I did not.  My favorite exercises were getting up to turn the channel (no remote back then, not until 1980 or so), getting up to go to the refrigerator (kind of self defeating), and walking to the busstop.  I played with the other kids outside when a game was organized, but that was ‘activity’... not always ‘exercise.’

So this was an eye-opener for me.

I will keep you apprised of my Nutrition evaluation.

If you are having issues with weight, READ Ultrametabolism!  And hydrate.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment