How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

P90X: "The Motivation Mystery" Day 67 of 90


I and a few of my colleagues in fitness have been mulling this over for a few days now.  I have to say, it is a subject close to my heart.  Not only have I been thinking about it in terms of my fitness, but also, I have had issues with it in my home.  What is motivation and why do some seem to have it, and some not?

Motivation is defined as the internal drive or inspiration to pursue a task with the goal of a desired outcome.  I like that.  It is a pretty clean definition.

I have watched many people over the course of my life attempt tasks with the hope of achieving an outcome.  I spent many an hour on a sports field.  I have competed in classroom settings for grades.  I have been through some pretty rigorous training programs in the military which many dropped out of.  I have seen it in my dieting and fitness as well.  We all have seen the same behavior.  Some are driven to succeed and some are not.  It is that drive that will typically determine the outcome.  The more drive, the higher the chance of success.

In my perception of motivation, there are two factors that affect the amount a person demonstrates.  The first is the difficulty of the task.  Can it be done and with how much effort?  The second is the value of the reward.  How much does the person want it?  Those two factors, if plotted on a graph, are a pretty good indicator of the level of motivation you may find in the person doing the task.  Lots of effort and dismal rewards equals little motivation.

There are other things that affect it as well. 

How closely is the task related to the reward?  For example, is the motive to study being linked to a desire for better grades or is the person studying because they were promised a different reward that they may have wanted more?...like a new prom dress. 

Are there other reward paths to get the same result?  Is it worth it to diet and exercise for a year if liposuction and stomach stapling can do the job in three months? 

Lastly, are there substitutes for the reward itself?  If the reward is not achieved, is something just as good more easily attained?

All of these things affect the level of a person’s motivation.  I have watched people just rationalize the goal away if the path looks too hard or if they are willing to settle for less.

As I have watched various people over the years, I have come to a conclusion on motivation.  While many things affect the level, there is a base level of motivation that every person possesses.  It is cultivated as the person went from childhood to the teen years.  Either the child was put in a position to compete at a young age, or not.  If they were, and there was any degree of feedback from doing well in competition, the seeds of motivation were sowed.  When a child is put into a competitive or performing setting and they do well, the feedback is the food that drives future motivation.  If they are not, they always have a very small base of motivation.  That’s my theory from studying people with high motivation.  That aspect of their life is usually seen in every area they participate in.  They are looking for the feedback high.

I think you can elevate even the most low of motivation levels.  But you can’t get the person over the hurdles unless the base level is large enough.  There are people who will, unfortunately, never be motivation material.

That’s my opinion and I will stick with it.  Prove me wrong.  What do you have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment