How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

"Max Interval Circuit. Again. Hell" Day 39 of 60


Today was my second time around for Max Interval Circuit.  I would love to say I was prepared for it this time, but the best I can say is that I was “ready.”  Unfortunately, “ready” and “prepared” are two different things.  “Ready” means I know and expect what’s coming next.  “Prepared” means I have done everything necessary to complete the task.  Seriously, there’s no way to “complete the task” in Max Interval Circuit.  Hell, even the people in the video are dying.  This is a survival game.  Can I make it through?  That’s all you need to ask yourself.

So what does it mean to be “ready?”  It means I knew the pace generally.  It means I knew where the breaks were.  Some circuits actually stick to the ‘3 minute active/30 second break’ rule.  This one actually sticks to the rule.  I have found, incidentally, that if the workout is labeled ‘Cardio’ you should be ready for there to be no breaks.  Take them as needed.  Being ‘ready’ means also that I know what exercises are coming in which circuits and which circuits are really hard.  It is something you have to experience for yourself because everyone has unique strengths and areas of weakness that will affect the circuits.

As an example, I happen to be very strong in the oblique areas and the pushup areas.  I am not so great in things like the Ski Abs and the In and Outs.  So, if I know the exercise is moving pushups, I am good.  I can give my all the exercise before that one because I know the pushups won’t crush me.  Certain exercises that I am weak at, done in sequence, can really mess with a circuit.  I know I have to go a little slower and be more deliberate with my form.  I don’t like leaving sets and reps on the floor.  I like to do them all.  I almost never hit pause unless the water runs dry or there is an odd level of exhaustion.  Pausing usually happens in the first week of new cycles because I have to adapt to the rhythm of the circuit

What makes Max Interval Circuit such a drag?  First, it’s 58 minutes.  I will tell you that when you put on the DVD, and right after Shaun T in the opening montage yells, “Let’s GOOOO,” you see that 58:00 in the lower left of the TV and cringe.  It’s three, three round circuits, not two.  After you have done it once, you have an idea how to pace yourself.  But when you do it the first time, you just pray for it to be over.

The second reason I find it to be a drag is, so many of the people on the DVD fall out and take breaks.  None of them seem to be able to sustain both form and energy for an entire circuit.  There is a lot of “COME” in this DVD.  That is “Camera On Me Energy.”  The exercise starts and Shaun runs to a certain person.  They get a burst of energy because the camera is on them.  As soon as the camera moves, they drop out or stop.  You’re at home and you just know that doing the whole thing with great form is practically impossible.  I mean, they chose these people for the video.  They must be in decent shape.

Let’s take Akeel (spelling?).  He looks to be in the best shape of anyone.  If one person looks like they are the poster child for ripped abs, it’s him.  I have yet to see him complete a circuit.  I’ve seen all the DVD’s at this point, so I think it’s safe to say he won’t be completing one.  How am I supposed to get psyched at home to be able to do all of these?  I’ll be honest.  That’s my goal.  I want to do them all, non-stop, with energy.  I am completely uninspired by everyone except Ashley.  I don’t know what she’s doing but she’s doing something right.

In my mind, I have altered my thinking so that I can be successful.  I have made it my goal to be better than the ones who fall out.  In my mind, I laugh and berate them.  It’s not nice, but it gets me through.  If I can do it and they can’t, I’m doing something.

That’s all for today.  Tomorrow is the last day of Phase II, Week One.  I need an ‘off day.’

No comments:

Post a Comment