How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Friday, June 29, 2012

“Max Plyometrics” Insanity: Day 40 of 60


When I did P90X, Plyometrics were my favorite of all the exercises, with the exception of the old Ab Ripper X.  I loved them.  Insanity’s Plyo is a bit different.  My constant criticism of Insanity has been that the order of the exercises in the circuits do not allow for enough muscle recovery within the circuits.  In P90X, the exercises seemed perfectly ordered to allow for the various muscle groups to be cycled.

The whole Insanity gig is that it is high on Cardio.  That’s my real issue with the order.  You can’t be burning cardio calories if your muscles physically cannot move because you did three exercises in a row that shot the hip flexors (or any other muscle) all to crap.

I proved my theory last night.  There is a circuit sequence that has you do (and my names will not be exactly the same as Shaun T as I am doing this from memory) (1) Reverse hop-squats, (2) Squat Pushups, (3) In and Outs, and (4) PowerJumps.  Now, the hop squats have you in a contracted state with the hip flexors most of the time.  Same for the Squat Pushups.  Then you do the In and Outs and completely fry the hip flexors.  Now, you are supposed to do the Power Jumps.  Even in the DVD, everyone stands around looking at each other because no one can get through the damn circuit.

Last night I rejiggered the order and did (1) and (2) as instructed…but I reversed the Power Jumps and finished with the In and Outs.  I did the whole circuit and got a real good cardio workout to go with the muscle work.  Putting the Power Jumps at (3) allowed me to give the hip flexors a slight rest while going to an exercise that allowed maximum motion to the flexors (and allowed them to stretch from their contracted position) while also using a considerable amount more of the abs, glutes and thighs to get the jumps going.  I finished with the Ins and Outs, which went much better with stretched out hip flexor muscles since now I had to rely on them a lot.

You may find that it’s completely different for you.  You may love the order.  I don’t.  My goal is to get through the routine with as much muscle use and intensity as I can and it works better for me if I order the circuits the way it works best for me.

Tomorrow is my break day, which means Ab Ripper X in the morning and then nothing else until I ‘push play’ on Saturday morning.

Saturday is Max Cardio…this is another circuit I may adjust.  I KNOW.  I sound like some kind of pompous ‘know-it-all.’  I assure you, that’s not the case. (stop smirking)  It’s just that when I did this routine for the first time on Monday, we pushed like crazy in circuit one and then the whole thing just kind of fizzled out slowly.  In my mind, the energy expended wasn’t balanced.  I need balance if I am going to maximize the intensity.  The whole Insanity thing is based on circuit training, which is intensity, break, intensity, break, right?  The intensity should actually kind of ramp up to a peak and then tail off slightly…not drop off.  Anyway, enough bitching.  I will let you know when I adjust and let you know how it works.  That’s our deal, right?

Tomorrow, break day.  It feels good to have that.  The normal Tuesday Recovery Day was (for me) actually taken up with the Fit Test and then I did Fast and Furious (not the current Obama scandal, the exercise).

Have a great Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment