How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Friday, April 27, 2012

P90X: "Courage" Day 84 of 90


Did you ever see something that you know you’ve seen before, but have that one moment strike you intimately?

I have an office in Boston, Massachusetts.  It’s on a very busy street with a window that looks right onto the sidewalk.  As I was sitting in a meeting yesterday, in thought about some business thing, I watched a man walk down the sidewalk.  He was walking quickly with a long stick in front of him, moving it left and right in a tapping motion on the sidewalk.  He was looking skyward and had a big smile on his face.  Maybe you have picked this up already from my description…he was blind.

As I sat there, I thought, “Where can this guy have to go that badly that he would take his disability into the crowded and traffic heavy streets of Boston?”  It struck me how precarious an act I was seeing on the part of this blind man.  As I rolled my thoughts around in my head, I thought about how this person must approach every day.  I thought about the courage it must take to blindly stroll into the unknown and the risks involved.  What an incredibly courageous person it takes to not let those risks deter their journey.

It triggered many thoughts about people in my life that have demonstrated that same courage.

My friend and Beachbody coach, Lisa Barker, who has survived cancer and battles every day to create a condition in her life that will keep something like that from ever happening again.  I thought about all the cancer survivors that I know, Shea GIbney, Teri Findlay, Rosie Anderson.  I thought about the ones that fought long and hard, only to lose…like Bob Grenon.

My new Facebook friend Jaime Grossman who, after getting to a point in her life where her physical condition became precarious and dangerous, grabbed the reins and made permanent changes.  Although she has made dramatic positive changes, she is still left with the residual physical damage.  She is, however, resigned to winning the slow journey to fix the remaining issues as well and does so with an incredible optimism.

My new Facebook friend Nancy Reinhardt who, when told her body was failing her and that she may never be able to have the freedom of movement that others had, made permanent and lasting changes to her physical condition over the last few years.  She jogged one mile the other day for the first time in years.

My friend Dave Potter who, after doing two tours in Afghanistan with the military, went back for a third tour voluntarily “because there are many who can’t do this, but I know I can.”  His convoy was hit with an RPG in his second tour and he suffered hearing damage that will never return.  That not only didn’t stop him, it hardened his resolve to return.

My dad who, after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease at the age of forty, spent the next thirty years fighting with the terminal illness.  He never stopped pushing himself to the limit of his endurance every single day.  He took a cocktail of about 50 to 60 pills a day.  Every three hours he had to take six or seven pills.  Some of them helped him move, some of them offset the toxic effects of the rest of the pills.  But he never gave in.  Ever.  He said once that he “didn’t want Parkinson’s to win.”  It didn’t.  He actually died of an infection caused from an implant that had been put in to stop a clot.

When I write about my own journeys with my weight loss, I do it with passion.  But I will be the first to tell you that it pales in comparison to the things that many have had to overcome in their lives.

On the other hand, there are many who look at something like a P90X program and think, “Oh my God, I could never do that.  It’s way too hard.”

I guess that’s the point of my blog today.  I know I spend a lot of time encouraging everyone who reads this to work harder at improving their physical condition for the journey ahead of them.  Your physical condition is a big deal.  When it fails you, you may feel like everything else is coming down around you.  It is also difficult.  But it is not THAT difficult.  When I think about some of the courageous people I know in my life, I have to…and YOU have to…put things like this in perspective.

I don’t think I have done something miraculous by conditioning myself this way.  Not in the least.  In fact, I KNOW it is something everyone can do.  Next to the people mentioned in this blog, my story is bland.

So, when you think about your physical condition and think improvements are hard, I get it.  But to be candid, it is not that hard for you.

If this is the hardest thing you ever do in your life, God Bless You.

Try P90X or any other fitness routine that positively changes your life.  You will feel great and put yourself in a position to be healthy and happy for the rest of your life.

If you look at the stories of courage above, there is one thread common to all of them.  The thing that I am asking you to go out and claim, a healthy physical condition, is what they all bravely have had to work to reclaim.

Don’t wait until it’s too late.  Have a great weekend and thanks to all of those who have shared their stories and inspired me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment