How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

P90X: "Oh Yeah, You Have to Eat Right" Day 53 of 90


Everyone who looks at P90X as a potential fitness program thinks immediately about the exercises.  They are hard, no doubt.  But everyone who has asked me so far about this focuses directly on the exercise…not the diet.  In fact, many don’t even know that there is a diet portion.  It is almost not even mentioned on the TV Infomercials.  It’s as though the routine itself is some kind of magic.  I chose P90X but, in reality, if you chose Insanity or any of the other Beachbody exercise routines, you can get results.

The key to any fitness plan is four words.  That’s the magic right there.  Four simple words.  “Eat right and exercise.”  That’s all there is to it.  It doesn’t matter the fitness plan so long as it pushes you to exertion for longer than thirty minutes and uses all areas of your body.  Well, that and the fact that you have to do it consistently, over and over, to get results.  Did I say you have to eat right?

There I was, looking for a fiction book that I was sure I had stuck somewhere in the family room.  In desperation, I dug to the bottom of a basket of books and stuff.  Guess what I found?  The P90X Nutrition guide!  I didn’t even remember getting one.  There was also a wall chart for the program that you could chart results on.  Now I do remember getting the chart, because I searched high and low for the damn thing when I was beginning the program and couldn’t find it.  Here it was, with the Nutrition Guide.

You may have surmised by now, but just in case I will point this out, that I don’t go by the P90X Nutrition Plan.  As I skimmed through the book last night, I realized why.  The Nutrition Guide is as big, if not bigger, than the Fitness Guide.  It also is loaded, absolutely loaded, with content.  By that, I mean words…lots of them.  Also, it has meal plans in phases, graphs with blocks representing your daily carbs, proteins, fats, etc.  There are zillions of recipes….and pictures.  It was mesmerizing.  It also was obvious why I opened the box and pitched it.  It is also why, maybe, they don’t show it in the infomercial.  But, and this is a big but, your diet and nutrition are essential to your fitness success…at least if you want to do it efficiently and safely.

There is a diet balance to be struck here.  My general rule is to make sure that I monitor my calorie intake, ensure they are good calories, and my newest rule, make sure the food is nutrient dense.  That said, I am an odd duck when it comes to food.  I don’t care what I eat.  I really don’t.  It’s not important that I have a certain steak or a special fish dish.  I don’t care how the food tastes.  I know that sounds foreign to many of you.  Except for some very particular tastes I deplore, like liver for instance, I can eat virtually anything.  With that in mind, variety in my food has no meaning.  None.  Everyone who knows me knows that, even when I was really fat, I ate the same way every day consistently.  When I was fat, however, it was consistently poor food and in large quantities.

As I looked at the P90X Nutrition Guide, it exhausted me.  Too many things to think about…too many choices…too much time to cook and prepare the meals.  I am not lazy.  You would know that if you saw me work out.  But I hate to spend any time at all cooking or preparing what I will eat.  It probably stems from the fact that food has no meaning to me.  I don’t need to spend an hour and a half trying to make something taste good…because I won’t care how it tastes!  If there is one thing that can kill any decision that someone makes to get fit, this is it.  A complicated diet plan.  The Guide is designed as a healthy transition for those who live for food…and apparently that is most of the free world.  It just isn’t me.  I count myself lucky for that.

To be successful doing any exercise routine, you need to have a good, solid and stable diet.  Find a diet that works for you, or find a good nutrition guidance counselor who can help you.  If you want to avoid roadbumps, keep it simple.  You may never get as simple as me, but it can be done!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment