How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Monday, March 26, 2012

P90X: "A Skip In My Step? Really?" Day 52 of 90


Most of us go through our days without really thinking about the little things that are going on.  We move along with a plan in mind for the day ahead and many of the little things we do during the journey just seem to happen automatically.  We take them for granted.  Then, every so often, we get a moment of clarity when we realize that some of the things we take for granted have changed.

So it was yesterday.  As I stood outside of church waiting for my son, I found myself in thought about something and just kind of pacing the walkway.  Suddenly someone walked by me and smiled with a bit of a chuckle.  I smiled back and just kept to my thoughts.  Then a second group came by and laughed a little.  It was then that I realized that, as I walked along, I was hopping up and down with alternating steps on the eight inch concrete sidewalk that bordered the walk.  I didn’t even know I was doing it.  The steps were there…I was there…I just shuffled along doing it…it was as natural to me as breathing.

Yesterday, I blogged about Assimilation.  There have been many times when I have felt that I just couldn’t sit down, but I do that when I am tired and just want to be alert enough to pay attention.  I have plenty of normal habits and idiosyncrasies.

But, this wasn’t one of them.   I was hopping along.  This was a clear sign that the things I am doing are building themselves into my natural behavior rhythms.  It was the first time I had noticed something that different in myself.  It was as if the Plyometrics were dying to get out.  It was a little more than ‘different’ to me because it was something I would have found myself doing as a kid.  I am sure that’s why these people thought it was amusing to see me doing it.  Maybe even strange.

I’m not going to lie here.  It felt good.  It felt great.  I felt like a million bucks to be able to just move so freely around.

About seven or eight years ago, I was showing off to my kids showing them how to jump rope with a speed rope.  For those of you that don’t know, the speed rope is a jump rope made of a rubber or heavy material so it can really fly when you rotate it.  Sometimes it’s even on a swivel handle.  When I was eighteen or so, I could cross jump with it.  I was pretty good.  So there I was with my mid-forty year old two hundred and eighty-five pound frame, at a family gathering with a few beers in me trying to show the kids how to do it.  It was going real well right up to the point where I was hopping from side to side on one leg.  The ‘SNAP’ was so loud that the whole crowd of twenty or so partiers all went silent.  I knew it was broken the minute I heard it.

The broken ankle was one thing, but the broken spirit hurt just as much.  I didn’t want to be the guy that ‘used to’ be able to do anything.

I have since changed all that, but now I am noticing permanent changes that I hope will be with me for the next ten to twenty years.  Yesterday just kind of shed a little internal light on it.  It felt great.  P90X is giving me back those years and that attitude.  It’s hard to explain unless you experience it.  Far too few of us get to feel this.  At this time in our lives we are supposed to just accept that time will carry us forward and do it’s damage.  I’m not ready.  As my kids always say, “You’re like a big kid in an adult body.”  Now maybe I can be, “A big kid in a younger body.”  That’s okay with me.  In fact, it’s better than okay.
 
Thanks P90X.  Ponce De Leon was looking in the wrong place…but then again, he didn’t have infomercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment