How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Friday, February 10, 2012

P90X: "Fear of the Unknown" Day 7 of 90


I now know what to expect.  The fear is gone.  For the next two weeks, my workouts will be the same as last week.  Same Tony Horton.  Same fitness buddies.  Same routines.  Different results.  That’s what I have to look forward to.  Now that I have a baseline, I have something to proceed from.  I don’t have to worry while I am watching the DVD that it gets more intense.  I also don’t have to worry about how to do most of the exercises.  Some actually were repeated several times this week.  I know which exercises I am good at.  I also know which ones I am pathetic at.  I want to be more intense and to improve.

I do look a little different when I look in the mirror.  There are actually changes taking place.  I am also recovering a little faster…I think.  Even if that is delusional, it is at least delusional in a positive direction!

It was hard.  No doubt there.  Nothing like anything I have done before.  This was harder than all the exercises I had to do in Army Basic Training in 1982.  It was tougher than all the double-sessions I did in High School Football.  It makes you feel durable.  This type of thing will do that.  That…and also watching Rocky VI or Bruce Springsteen live.

As Neil Young would say, “It’s better to burn out, than it is to rust.”

Today is the “rest” day of the week.  It is also my birthday.  I didn’t plan it that way, it just worked out.  I may just do four or five miles walking and keep the machine in motion.   

I am actually looking forward to all the workouts this week.  This is where I see if there was an improvement.  There will be.  I also begin this week accurately tracking the weight and reps.  My week one goal was survival, now I can build on that.

I started re-reading a book called "Ultrametabolism" by Mark Hyman, MD.  It's a great read on how your body works, what to feed it (and what not to) and how to put it in a position to burn fat more efficiently.  I highly recommend it.  Nothing makes you feel better about doing something hard or difficult than knowing the reasons you need to do it.  From the mouth of every child..."But whyyyy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment