How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

P90X: "Finding Happiness, Part 3, Last Part" Day 36 of 90


Again, this is just me writing down my thoughts…and my disclaimer.

Warning!!  This is my opinion.  It may have validity…it may not.  If it does anything, I hope it inspires thought and maybe even prompts some debate.

Part Three: Growth

Part One of my theoretical approach to happiness was priorities.  WHAT do you need in your life and what is its order of precedence?  Which comes first, and which comes last?  Once you have given that a lot of thought, you then have an idea about your personal priorities…and their order.

Part Two was about control.  I believe that one of the foundations of happiness is the amount of control you have over your needs.  If a person has a group of needs being met, but thinks that their list of needs can disappear with a moment’s notice, it is hard to achieve happiness.  The more control you have over your own priorities and needs, the happier you will be.  The better your relationship and standing with those people or organizations that control your other needs, the happier you will be as well.  Control is one of the driving forces of happiness.

The last part of my theory is growth.  Once you know your priorities, you have your map of destinations.  Once you establish that you need to take responsibility and control, you have the wheel and are ‘driving the bus.’  Now, you need to hit the gas pedal.  That’s the last step.

As you make sure your priorities are buttoned up, bottom to top, are you planning the next step to tackle the next available need?  As you look at food, shelter, clothing, safety…what’s next and how are you approaching that?  Are you managing your affinity needs well?  Things like family, friends and business colleagues…are they healthy and where they need to be?  How about career?  Is that where you wanted it to be?  Can it be better?  Are there things you always wanted to learn but never did?

Where is your passion?  Are you shooting for it?

Maybe though, you are at a point where you say, “Enough.”  I am happy right where I am.  I don’t need to move my bus one inch.  I get that one, I really do.  Life is long and the work is hard.  Finally you get to a point where you feel that just sitting down would be nice.

Here is where I have to come clean.  I have to admit that my theory may not work for everyone.  As I said, it’s a theory.  The problem with MY theory is that it comes from me and is based on my own drives and desires.  So, this may not work for everyone. 

My theory, nonetheless, is that we all have to be growing in some way, shape or form.  As humans, we grow.  We evolve.  That is what our existence is about.  I believe that true happiness is accomplished when we are growing in a pattern that fits our priorities and we can credit ourselves with the achievement.  It can be spiritual, emotional, intellectual, or physical…but achieving personal growth is essential to reaching happiness.

When you realize that you want to fill a career need, and you work extra hours or put in time to acquire a new skill, you are growing.  When you work through a personal crisis and you learn that you can survive it and maybe even be better for having endured it, then that is growth.  When you really work to improve your communication skills with your kids, because you know it’s not your strong suit…growth again.

Everyone I have ever met in my life, when telling me of an accomplishment they had, tells me with a smile.  It doesn’t matter if it’s as big as climbing the Matterhorn or whether they just shot a personal best in golf that day at the club.  When people achieve, they beam with pride.  Ever ask someone, “So what’s new?” and then hear, “Oh, Nothing.”  Did that person ever say that with a smile?  Even if you just became a Grandparent for the first time, it may not be something you did personally, but it is something new in your life that will bring new moments and new opportunities…and you are growing a family.

I think that the minute we stop putting challenges in front of ourselves and stop trying to achieve them, we become static.  We lose the ability to really be the drivers of our own happiness.  We then are forced to just sit back and endure all the little things that we have given up control over as they rush towards us.  I can’t be happy doing that.

Maybe everyone else can.  I guess that’s the question to ask yourself.

What does HAPPINESS and P90X have in common?   For me, P90X is my next challenge.  I have found over the past four years that I love reaching for something I didn’t think was possible and then trying to make it happen.  Just the attempts make me happy…because I always know I will give it my all.  I also don’t mind the risks.  Really, what have any of us to lose?  I have always loved learning and new ideas.  I particularly like to try things I know I can be passionate about.  Writing is actually one of those things in the past four or five years.  But right now, P90X is going to occupy the next ten weeks.  I want to see, if applied, if it can work for me.  I know this much, it has so far.

So ends my little dissertation on Happiness.  It’s how I believe it happens.  I would love to know how everyone else approaches happiness.

Thanks for reading along.  Sincerely.

[later that day]

Today I shifted from the P90X Lean workout to the Classic workout.  Did the P90X Chest, Shoulders and Triceps today.  I had the right equipment this time.  I got the pushup bars and had my Frisbee for the sliding pushups on the rug.  I improved over last week definitely…always love to see that improvement.  I did every routine until burnout and once again, the one-handed pushups were not even able to be done.  I did them on my knees and adjusted by holding the wrist of my one pushup arm.  I did, like, three.  I don’t mind having things in here that I cannot do…it’s the work that burns the calories and drives the improvement.  That was my reason for bumping up to this routine.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment