How to Use this Blog Site


This blog is about my battle with weight and the journey that ensued.

Along the way are some not so subtle side tales but, for the most part, it is in chronological order. If you want the story from the beginning, start on March 24, 2009 at "The Tipping Point", and read your way to today. Thanks and best of luck on your journey.


If you want to keep up with this blog, please become a 'follower' on the right and you will get updates when I add something.

Monday, January 6, 2014

P90X3: Day 2 of 90. Agility X. Crap, now I've done it! Again.

And, by 'doing it again,' I don't mean the Agility X routine.  I warmed up by doing 30 minutes on the treadmill.  All was going great until the first lunge set.  I felt a tightness in a muscle that has never given me problems before.  I pushed it for a couple more and it pulled tight on me.  Painfully tight.  I hit pause and backed out and stretched.  I didn't stop, just stretched the area that was affected.  I'm not sure, but I don't think it's the groin muscle.  If I look at a muscle map, it seems like it's the Gracillis.  Also, many pictures online show the muscle, oddly enough (and I say that sarcastically) with the leg in a lunge.

It's a small pull.  So, I kept going, I stretched frequently, and I modified to keep an eye on it.  Bottom line, I finished the workout.  But, it's pretty sore.  I iced the muscle and drank my protein and creatine shake when I was done.  For those of you over 50, that's spackle and glue for building up old muscles.  It'll be a few days of modifying the exercises that affect that muscle.

Here's the thing for you new people, kind of a "Coaching Moment" if you will.  When you feel your muscles pulling back in weird ways, hit pause before they react badly.  I've done this twice before in P90X and should have learned my lesson about listening to my body.  It's okay though, nothing permanent.  When it happened in P90X, I modified those exercises until I could do them again and did the rest with vigor.  Listen to your body.  Don't let your brain or ego write a check your body can't cash.

Here's the second part of this.  I'm not stopping.  I'll be on the treadmill for 45 minutes in the AM, and I will stretch it during the day so it doesn't get tight...and I will stretch better before each set.  Thirty minutes goes by quickly...if you need it, go "Cold Start."  I'll be doing heat before exercising and ice afterward.

So, it's deja vu all over again.  I pushed too hard and strained something.  I'll be fine.  Learn from my mistake (the third time) to listen to your body.  It's late.  Great Wildcard Weekend of NFL though!

No comments:

Post a Comment